I won’t lie when I say, I don’t like some vegetables. However, I am always open to trying new things. This weekend I tried sweet potatoes in a breakfast burrito and can I just say…”hot damn”.
This is new recipe is budget friendly, easy to make and can be easily turned vegan!
This recipe makes 4-5 breakfast burritos and takes about 30 min.
- Tortilla wraps
- 5 mushrooms diced chunky
- 6 eggs or egg substitute
- 1 large sweet potato cubed
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- Fajita seasoning packet
- salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, & cayenne
- Pico de Gallo
- daiya cheddar cheese or cheese of your liking
- hot sauce and salsa verde!
- Cube sweet potatoes in to small chunks, put on oven tray and bake at 425 degrees for 20 min. Stir at 10 minutes.
- While sweet potatoes are cooking, dice up your red pepper, onion and mushroom.
- Toss onion and red pepper into a skillet let simmer on medium until soft.
- Next add in 1/2 cup water with a little over half of the fajita seasoning packet. Stir and add more water as needed. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Set onion/pepper mixture aside, add in your mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne. Add a little olive oil if needed so mushrooms don’t stick. These will replace our meat in the burrito. Once ready, set aside.
- Sweet potato cubes should be ready now. Add them to skillet, pour the rest of the fajita seasoning over potatoes. Slowly Add about 1/4 cup of water until seasoning is dissolved. Coat potatoes evenly, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a sauce pan or skillet add six eggs. Scramble with fork until combined. Cook on medium heat, to allow you to stir constantly while finishing up sweet potatoes. Make sure your eggs don’t burn. Keep stirring until fully cooked.
- Now it’s time to assemble ! Place your tortilla on a plate, add in eggs, onion/pepper mixture, cheese substitute or regular cheese, sweet potatoes —and roll up. (Hint if you don’t know how to roll up a burrito—YouTube or google!)
9. Heat clean skillet to medium high, make sure it’s hot before adding in rolled burrito. Make sure the flap side of the burrito goes down first to complete the seal. Sear for about 2-3 minutes per side until browned.
10. Serve with pico de Gallo, salsa and enjoy!