Not all sandwiches transfer perfectly into a lettuce wrap but this banh mi sure does! Instead of the traditional pork, I used seasoned chicken and then stayed with the traditional pickled veggies. Pickling your own veggies seems a little intimidating but it honestly takes like 10 minutes to do and a quick overnight marinating. This is a super simple recipe, cheap to make and low carb! Now you can tell your friends, “oh this isn’t take out, I made it”. ha
Please note: Pickling should only take an hour if you want to eat right away or you can store them over night.
- 2 chicken breasts
- Chicken seasonings: Turmeric, cumin, garlic powder, white pepper, salt
- Sliced carrots
- Radishes sliced
- Bak Choy (cut julienne style)
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 2 cups of rice vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 TBSP salt
- 2 mason jars
- head of butter lettuce
- Sriracha mayo
- cilantro for garnish
- Season both pieces of chicken, place in hot pan and cook for 10 minutes on medium high heat.
- Flip chicken, cover pan with lid and cook on medium heat for an additional 10-12 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees.
- Dice chicken into chunks.
- For pickling, dice all your vegetables and separate into mason jars.
- In a sauce pan, combine your rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Whisk together over medium high heat until dissolved, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour mixture into mason jars evenly (if you’re pickling more than 2 mason jars I recommend doubling the recipe).
- Wait until jars are cool (about an hour) use right away or store in fridge for a more indepth flavor over night. When you’re ready to use I rinsed off my pickled veggies slightly so the vinegar mixture wouldn’t run on my chicken.
9. Peel leaves from butter lettuce, add your warm chicken then top with pickled veggies and sriracha mayo. Garnish with cilantro annnddd….
10. Serve and enjoy!