If you were like me, you may have heard the words “suffering succotash” by a famous by Sylvester the cat. Who knew succotash was a delicious meal/side dish that’s easy to make and perfect for all those summer veggies available!
- 3 ears of corn or 1 bag of frozen corn
- 3 fresh okra pods, chopped
- 1 zucchini
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4-5 small sweet peppers
- 1-1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, snapped into small pieces
- 1 bag frozen Lima beans
- 1 TBSP fresh herbs, I used Tarragon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 stick of butter
- salt, pepper, chili powder, lime
- Begin by cooking your corn, I usually put my corn in the microwave on a plate and wrap the corn in a wet paper towel for about 4 minutes. But prepare as you see fit.
- While corn is cooking put your onion, okra, zucchini and peppers into a skillet with a little olive oil and saute until tender. Medium heat
- In the same skillet, now add your chopped green beans, corn and 1/2 of your butter.
4. Prepare your Lima beans and then add to your skillet with the rest of the butter and mayonnaise.
5. Season with salt, pepper and chili powder, add a little lime for a kick.
6. Now pour in your tomatoes and water. You want just enough water for all your veggies to marinate, not drown in. This will cook the green beans and make the Lima beans more tender.
7. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once at a boil lower to medium/low and let cook for about 20-30 minute or until water is almost evaporated.
8. Serve and enjoy