A beautiful meal that only takes 20-25 minutes and cheap to make.
- 1-2 chicken breast
- 1 1/2 cups of Orzo (FYI Orzo is found in the pasta section, and Kroger sometimes has it for $1)
- 1 cup of peas (I used a bag of frozen that can be steamed in the microwave, or you can use fresh)
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Fresh Herbs ( I used thyme, parsley and a lil rosemary)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tsp lemon zest
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Start by preheating your oven to 425.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel, season with salt/pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Once the oven is ready, place you chicken on tin foil on a baking tray and make a little tent around it. This allows the chicken to cook and stay moist.
4. Place chicken in middle of oven and let cook for 20 min (at 20 min we’ll come back to this)
5. Now that the chicken is cooking we’re going to start on the Orzo.
6. Take a skillet add in your olive oil, garlic and orzo. Let this brown for about 1 minute on medium heat.
7. Add in your fresh herbs and make sure your garlic and orzo are not burning.
8. Turn up the heat to high and add in your chicken broth. Bring this to boil and then cover with lid.
9. As your broth is heating up to boil get your peas ready. If you’re using frozen peas, put them in the microwave for 3 minutes…my bag said 5 minutes but i didn’t want them completely cooked.
10. Once your peas are ready, drain and measure out 1 cup of peas.
(If you’re using fresh peas you’ll just add these into your skillet to cook with your orzo)
11. Add these to your skillet, add a few pinches of salt and continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the broth has been soaked up. Keep watch as once the broth is almost gone, turn your heat down so your orzo and peas don’t burn.
12. Once orzo is cooked and peas are bright green, add in lemon juice, lemon zest and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Remember to taste, taste, taste! Keep heat low to stay warm.
13. Now back to the chicken, it should be about 15-20 minutes at this point. Pull out your tray of chicken and carefully open your tin foil. At this point I like to put the chicken back in the oven for about 3-5 minutes uncovered to cook
(Reminder to always check your chicken is fully cooked before eating)
14. I sliced my chicken in half and then sliced it.
15. Place chicken over your orzo, garnish with parsley and Parmesan cheese…. and enjoy.